Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are wonderful – they are 174 calories per roll with 15 grams of protein. With only 5.5 grams of fat and 6 grams of sugar per serving, this delicious recipe serves 6 and is perfect for a quick, healthy dinner!
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 1 head of cabbage, individual leaves removed
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of whole grain rice
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- ½ medium onion, diced (optional depending on toleration)
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Prepare the rice according to their instructions. The rice should be cooked before preparing the rolls.
3) While the rice is cooking, wash and blanch (cook in boiling water for about 30-60 seconds) the cabbage leaves. This makes them easier to manipulate!
4) In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the onions and carrots. Cook them until they are slightly soft.
5) Add the ground turkey to the veggies and cook it until it is brown then add the garlic powder and seasoning.
6) Once the rice is done, add it to the meat/veggie mix.
7) Place ½ cup of the mixture into the center of 1 cabbage leaf and roll, sealing each end.
8) Once all of the rolls are stuffed, place them into a baking dish with the seam of the roll facing down.
9) Generously top the rolls with the tomato sauce and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes.
10) Let them stand for about 5 minutes before serving.